N E W S
NUMBER OF HOLY COMMUNIONS AND CONCELEBRANTS
During the month of February in the shrine of the Queen of Peace in Medjugorje 20,000 Holy Communions were distributed and there were 580 concelebrations at mass by priests from home and abroad, that is 20 daily.
Last week the Prayer-Educational Seminar was held in Neum for leaders of prayer groups, pilgrims, and Centers of Peace throughout the world. Coming from 21 countries, 130 participants took part in the work of the seminar on the theme "Spirituality of the Family". The aim of these seminars, already held for the fourth consecutive year, is better acquaintance and sharing experiences of those who work with pilgrims in Medjugorje and in their own centers.
At the end of the seminar a joint Declaration was drafted. We will publish it in the following issue of the Press Bulletin.
FR. JANKO BUBALO DIED
Fr. Janko Bubalo, a member of the Franciscan Province of Hercegovina born in 1913, died February 21. During the period of communism he underwent great trials and sufferings. He was the first priest in Croatia to be received into the Society of Croatian Authors and wrote numerous literary works. As a tireless confessor for a period of many years, he was well known to Medjugorje pilgrims. His funeral and burial took place February 22 in Humac.
THE IMAGE OF THE QUEEN OF PEACE
Many have in different ways interrogated the visionaries about Our Lady's appearance, as they have in general about what is happening in the parish of Medjugorje. Fr. Janko Bubalo, author and member of the Hercegovina province, was the most successful at that. He followed the Medjugorje apparitions from the beginning. For years he was coming to Medjugorje to hear confessions and thus he had experiences of Medjugorje spirituality. A visible result of such work was his book A "Thousand Encounters with the Blessed Virgin Mary in Medjugorje" (1985). It met with world wide success and received an award. As he testifies, he spoke several times with all the visionaries and did not publish anything that they did not approve.
Time has passed and attempts at portraying Our Lady have multiplied. Many of those attempts have been contrary to what the visionaries have said. In order to bring order into all that, Fr. Janko, although up in years (born 1913), made another attempt. He sent a survey sheet to the visionaries in which he interrogates them about Our Lady's appearance. Most of the visionaries responded to Fr. Janko's attempt (Ivan Dragievic, Vicka Ivankovic, Marija Pavlovic Lunetti, Ivanka Ivankovic Elez, and Mirjana Dragicevic Soldo). They testified to the survey number of their own answers by personal signatures at Humac in 1992. Jakov Colo did not fill out his survey sheet for justifiable reasons, but he agrees with what the others visionaries said and had nothing special to add.
We now present the questions in full and the results of the visionaries' brief answers.
1. As the first thing, tell me: how tall is the Madonna, that you regularly see?
About 165 cm - Like me (Vicka ). [5 feet 5 inches]
2. Does she look rather "slender", slim or . . .?
She looks rather slender.
3. About how many kilograms do you think she weighs?
About 60 kilograms (132 pounds).
4. About how old do you think she is?
From 18 to 20 years old.
5. When she is with the Child Jesus does she look older?
She looks as usual - she looks the same.
6. When Our Lady is with you is she always standing or . . .
7. On what is she standing?
On some little cloud.
8. What color is that little cloud?
The cloud is a whitish color.
9. Have you ever seen her kneel?
Never! (Vicka, Ivan, Ivanka. . .)
10. Naturally your Madonna also has her own face. How does it look: round or rather long - oval?
It's rather long - oval - normal.
11. What color is her face?
Normal - rather light - rosy cheeks.
12. What color is her brow?
Normal - mainly light like her face.
13. What kind of lips does Our Lady have - rather thick or thin?
Normal - beautiful - they are more thin.
14. What color are they?
Reddish - natural color.
15. Does Our Lady have any dimples, as we people usually have?
Ordinarily she doesn't - perhaps a little, if she smiles (Mirjana).
16. Is there some pleasant smile ordinarily noticeable on her countenance?
Maybe - more like some indescribable gentleness - there's a smile visible as if somehow under her skin (Vicka).
17. What is the color of Our Lady's eyes?
Her eyes are wonderful! Clearly blue (all).
18. Are they rather big or . . .?
More normal - maybe a little bit bigger (Marija).
19. How are her eye-lashes?
Delicate - normal.
20. What color are her eye-lashes?
Normal - no special color.
21. Are they thinner or . . .?
Ordinary - normal.
22. Of course, Our Lady also has a nose. What is it like: sharp or . . .?
A nice, little nose (Mirjana) - normal, harmonizing with her face (Marija).
23. And Our Lady's eyebrows?
Her eyebrows are thin - normal - more of a black color.
24. How is your Madonna dressed?
She is clothed in a simple woman's dress.
25. What color is her dress?
Her dress is grey - maybe a little bluish-grey(Mirjana).
26. Is the dress pulled in around the body or does it fall freely.
It falls freely.
27. How far down does her dress reach?
All the way down to the little cloud on which she's standing - it blends into the cloud.
28. How far up around the neck?
Normally - up to the beginning of her neck.
29. Is a part of Our Lady's neck visible?
Her neck is visible, but nothing of her bosom is visible.
30. How far do her sleeves reach?
Up to her palms.
31. Is Our Lady's dress hemmed with anything?
No, not with anything.
32. Is there anything pulled in or tied around Our Lady's waist?
No, there's nothing.
33. On the body of the Madonna that you see, is her femininity noticeable?
Of course it's noticeable! But nothing specially (Vicka).
34. Is there anything else on Our Lady besides this dress described?
She has a veil on her head.
35. What color is that veil?
The veil is a white color.
36. Pure white or . . .?
37. How much of her does the veil cover?
It covers her head, shoulders and complete body from the back and from the sides.
38. How far down does it reach?
It reaches down to the little cloud, also like her dress.
39. How far does it cover in front?
It covers from the back and from the sides.
40. Does the veil look firmer, thicker than Our Lady's dress?
No it doesn't - it's similar to the dress.
41. Is there any kind of jewelry on her?
There is no kind of jewelry.
42. Is it trimmed with anything at the ends?
Not with anything.
43. Does Our Lady have any kind of ornament at all?
She has no kind.
44. For example, on her head or around the head?
Yes - she has a crown of stars on her head.
45. Are there always stars around her head?
Ordinarily there are - there always are (Vicka).
46. For example, when she appears with Jesus?
She's the same way.
47. How many stars are there?
There are twelve of them.
48. What color are they?
Golden - gold color.
49. Are they in any way connected with each other?
They are connected with something - so that can stay up (Vicka)
50. Is a little bit of Our Lady's hair visible?
A little bit of her hair is visible.
51. Where do you see it?
A little above her forehead - from under the veil - from the left side.
52. What color is it?
It is black.
53. Is either of Our Lady's ears ever visible?
No, they are never visible.
54. How is that?
Well, the veil covers her ears.
55. What is Our Lady usually looking at during the apparition?
Usually she is looking at us - sometimes at something else, at what she's showing.
56. How does Our Lady hold her hands about her?
Her hands are free, relaxed, extended.
57. When does she hold her hands folded?
Almost never - maybe sometimes at the "Glory be."
58. Does she ever move, gesture with her hands during the apparitions?
She does not gesture, except when she shows something.
59. Which way are her palms turned when her hands are extended?
Her palms are usually relaxed upwards - her fingers are relaxed the same way.
60. Are her fingernails then also visible?
They are partially visible.
61. How are they - which color are they?
Natural color - clean cut fingernails.
62. Have you ever seen Our Lady's legs?
No - never - her dress always covers them.
63. Finally, is Our Lady really beautiful, as you have said?
Well, really we haven't told you anything about that - her beauty cannot be described - it is not our kind of beauty - that is something ethereal - something heavenly - something that we'll only see in Paradise - and then only to a certain degree.
Published by : INFORMATIVNI CENTAR MIR - Svetiste Kraljice mira
(Information Center MIR - Shrine of the Queen of Peace),
88266 Medjugorje, BiH, fax number: 00387 88 651 444.
Director: fra Miljenko Stojic.
You can receive the latest issue of the Press Bulletin at any time on your own fax machine in the tone
mode by dialing the Robofax in our Information Center at +387-88-65-15-55.
Published every other Wednesday.
Last Modified 03/11/97